Heritage Weekend Tile 2010

Chipley Homeplace

Heritage Weekend Tile 2010

Confederate Captain John J. Chipley came to the South Branch Valley at the end of the Civil War, opened a law practice, and began to build a home just east of the town of Moorefield. Using the natural resources of the land, yellow pine tree became the framework, flors and woodwork supporting the brick structure. Hillside clay became the bricks that were laid in a federal pattern.

Large foundation stones for the new home where taken from the quarry at Kessel, ferried on the South Branch River to a landing near Main Street and the hauled up the hill to the building site.

Capitan Chipley finished his house in 1868. In the sousing 142 years, the home has ad three owners and ted major upgrades; in 1930 when purchased by CC Wise and in 1999 when purchased by the present owners.

Captain Chipley was elected Mayor of Moorefield 12 times between 1877 and 1915. For six years he owned the local newspaper that eventually became the Moorefield Examiner. He died in 1920. His son, Ed, occupied the home until it was sold in 1930.

The 4-story Greek revival home retains all of the natural woodwork and flooring, and every window retains panes of original glass. Each wall is three-blocks thick- held together with lime mortar. Many of the supporting beams measure 12 inches wide and 18 feet long.

Windows are still raised using a weight and sash system. The house originally had eight fireplaces. A coach furnace was added in 1930. The hand-dug basement was used for cooling meats and storing garden vegetables.

A two-story porch runs along the south side of the house. A narrow stairway on that porch allowed servant access from the downstairs to two upstairs rooms, making it unnecessary to enter the main part of the house.

The 1930 renovation that added the L-shaped porch on the north and west sides of the house, a second set of entry doors and two sets of outside stairs changed the appearance of the house. The porch reflects the Arts and Crafts Era in American architecture.

Each room displays lighting as it might have been from 1968 until 1906 when electricity illuminated the house. The original drop-style ceiling figures still function in the parlor and family room and two bedrooms.

Location: 317 Winchester Ave, Moorefield