Heritage Weekend Tile 1983
This house was built by Thomas Maslin in 1848 and was purchased from Maslin heirs by Mortimer W. Gamble II in 1888. Since 1888, it has been occupied by member of the Gamble family.
During the war between the states, confederate soldiers in need of a hiding place were hidden in the dirt cellar under the wing of the house.
Reportedly, Mr. Maslin paid $12,000 for materials and skilled craftsman, a tremendous sum for that early time. Labor was performed by slaves working under the supervisions of the skilled personnel.
The bricks used in the building were made from clay taken from the excavation for the basement. The basement contains the exact floor plan as the first floor. The hall and two rooms on the north side are paved with brick. All rat vrooms in the house, including those in the basement, contain fireplaces.
The house servants (slaves) were quartered in the two upstairs rooms of the wing and the field hands live in the four-room brick house in the rear of the main building.
The Maslin0Gamble House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.