The Frye House
The history of this house dates back to April 2, 1750, when young George Washington surveyed the land for Henry Westfall Frye. Mr. Frye, a magistrate and mill owner, as well as a farmer, buiit the present house in 1825 after living in a much less grand home for a while. The large porches, which add to the house’s elegance, were added in the 1880’s or 90’s by his son, John. The home has defended through the Frye family and they have adapted it to the changing times and family needs. In “The History of Hardy County” by Richard K. MacMAster, he notes that in 1860, the Frye Farm was one of only a few farms in the Wardensville district listed as worth over $10,000. Corn was the primary crop of the farm.
Located on the Winchester Turnpike, just outside the then booming town of Wardensville, the house witnessed the passing of both Union and Confederate armies during the Civil War. The Frye’s often welcomed guests and supplied food and forage to the Confederate Army. After the Civil War, the Frye family pend it as the Capon House for a time, offering overnight accommodations to travelers making the trek over North Mountain.
A printed Bill of Sale was discovered that indicated that the farm was schedule to go up for auction on March 28th,1908. The sale was to settle the estate after John Frye’s death. In the Bill of Sale, 221 acres and the house were bring offered as parcel. It indicated that the farm was “one of the most desirable homes in the County, the house having been throughly over-hauled, rooms papered and painted.” It also states that “there has never been offered for sale in this valley anything to compare with it.” It is uncle whether or not the auction took place. That is known is that Laura Baker Frye intervened in some manner and settled the estate. This unique property, until recent years, was cared for by Henry W. Frye descendants.
Restorations begin in 1995 to included resorting all nine fireplaces. Cooking was originally done in a huge fireplace located in the basement of the house. The house retains the original hardware and wood-grained floors. In addition to the house there are various outbuildings and barns on the property.
Directions: North on Rt 259 through Wardensville, bear right on Rt. 55. The driveway is immediately on the right.