Heritage Weekend Tile 2007
In 1750 a young George Washington surveyed the land for Henry Westfall Frye. Mr. Frye, a magistrate and mill owner as well as a farmer, built the present house in 1825 after living in a much less grand home. The large porches, which add to the house's elegance, were added in the 1880's or 90s by his son John. The home has defended through the Frye gamily and they have adapted it to the changing times and family needs. In "The History of Hardy County" by Richard K. MacMaster, he notes that in 1860 the Frye Farm was one of only a few farms in the Wardensville District listed as worth over $10,000. Corn was the primary crop.
The home is located on the Winchester-Moorefield Turnpike, just outside of the then booming town of Wardensville, the house witnessed the passing of both Union and Confederate armies during the Civil War. The Fries often welcomed guests and supplied food and forage to the Confederate Army. After the Civil War, the Frye family operated it as the Capon House for a time, offering overnight accommodations to travelers making the trek over North Mountain.
A printed Bill of Sale was discovered that indicated that the farm was scheduled to go up for auction on March 28th, 1908. The sale was to settle the estate after John Frye's death. In the Bill of Sale, 221 acres and the house were being offered as a parcel. It indicated that the farm was "one of the most desirable homes in the County, the house having been throughout overhauled, rooms papered and painted." It also states that "there has never been offered for sale in this valley anything in comparison with it." It is unclear wether or not the auction took place. What is known is that Laura Baker Frye intervened in some manner and settled the estate. This unique property, therefore, was continued to be cared for by Henry W. Frye descendants.
Restoration began in 1995 and continues today. All nine fireplaces have been restored and are usable. Cooking was originally done in the huge fireplaces located in the basement of the house. The house retains the original hardware and wood-grained doors. In addition to the house, there is a butcher shop where hams and slabs of bacon were preserved for the winter and an ice house. The is also a bar that was added on the site of the original one and a pond has been added along the driveway.