Heritage Weekend Tile 2005
Oakland Hall, ca.1840, is one of the valley’s grand homes built in the Greek Revival style, which was popular in the pre-Civil War era.
Bricks for the residence were made nearby and laid in a Flemish Cross-bond pattern with Jack-arched headed windows. Other exterior features include a low-pitched hipped roof with an extended dentil frieze molding, knee windows with original wrought iron grates, a small belt course separating the third floor ballroom from the main body of the house, and an entrance accented with a broad transom and sidelights. The interior of the house is a four over four floor plan with a grand center hall. It boasts spacious rooms with high ceilings, fireplaces, eight foot windows, pine floors, a pair of large paneled pocket doors, as well as a flowing walnut staircase leading to the third floor.
The original household kitchen was in the basement and has a large fireplace, wall oven, and a dumbwaiter that transported food to the 1st and 2nd floors.
The history of Oakland Hall started with its builder, Solomon VanMeter. In 1871 the house and 495+ acres was deeded by Garrett VanMeter to his daughter Jemima and son-in-law Alexander Sommervville. Their seven children sold Oakland Hall to William A. and Frances Engeman in 1889 for $34,500.00. Mr. Engeman raised and trained horses at Lower Brighton, on the southern outskirts of Moorefield, then transported them by train to his Brighton Beach Race Track in New York. He and his workmen from NY decorated the house and added 2 Victorian bathrooms. These interior bathrooms may well be the first in the South Branch Valley.
The house was purchased in 1901 by Otto S. and Lillian Baker Fisher. In 1964 Lillian deeded the house and 135 acres to her son, Robert S., daughter, Frances Fisher McAdams, and son-in-law, Forest McAdams.
The Valley View Golf Association took ownership of the ‘brick house’ and 135 acres on September 1, 1968. The association, comprised of members from Grant and Hardy counties, worked together to buy the property and develop the golf course. The house is maintained with careful attention to historical and architectural integrity by the Valley View Ladies with fundraisers and event rentals.
Oakland Hall was placed on the National Register of Historical Places in 1985.
Directions: Take US 220 3.5 miles south of Moorefield. The entrance is on the right.