Heritage Weekend Tile 1999
The Lobb House, originally just four rooms, was built around 1842, on property acquired by Charles Lobb in 1833 from William Heath. A landmark on Winchester Ave, the home is within the orginal boundary of what is not the historic district of Moorefield.
During the Civil War, the Lobb House found itself in the middle of an artillery duel between Confederates on the west edge of the South Branch River near Alum Bank and the Union on the eastern edge of Moorefield on Cemetery Hill.
A Union artillery shell struck the east Gabel of the home while the Lobb children were playing in the attic. The shell did not explode and there were no injuries. The cannonball was retrieved and kept by the Lobbs and has been passed on to subsequent owners of the house.
Charles Lobb, clerk of the courts in Hardy County from 1863 to 1885, lived in the home until his death in 1891. His son George acquired the house in a chancery auction. In 1916, he sold it to Archibald Alexander Welton, who willed it to his daughter Susan E. Williams and her husband Thomas.
The William added a front porch, garage and workshop, and using 20 two-ton jacks, elevated the structure to build a new stone foundation. The Thompson Mahogany Co. acquired the house in 1944 and sued it as a superintendent's quarters until 1950 when it was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. Donald Baker, who added a number of rooms upstairs. In 1986, their oldest son Donald and his wife Beverly purchased the home.
Located at 212 Winchester Ave, Moorefield