Heritage Weekend Tile 1985
Taking seven years to build and win its name to the willow trees that once surrounded the house, Willow Wall is a rare surviving example of Late Georgian Palladian architecture.
The house is divided into 38 separate compartments, rooms, halls, attics, and cellars. The entire building consists of 365,000 bricks on the outside surface and on interior walls from the basement to the attic.
All floors are heart pine; 12 of the 17 fireplaces have hand-carved Georgian mantels; the double-hung windows are handmade, mortised and pegged and include many of the original glass panes; stair railings are carved from a single cherry log; and the doors retain their wood-grained paint and handmade locks and keys.
The central hall displays French woodblock wall-are painted by Deltil and printed by Jean Zubar in 1831. The one other original of Paysge a Chass (Landsape of the Hunt) in the United States is in the home of President Martin Van Buren at Kinderhook, NY.
Willow Wall was built between 1805 and 1811 by Daniel McNeill, who purchased the property in 1787 from Col. Abraham Hite.
During the Civil War, Willow Wall was used as a field hospital and headquarters for Confederate Brigadier Gen. Bradley T. Johnson during the Battle for Moorefield in August 1864.
Willow Wall was placed on the National Register of Historical Places on July 2, 1973.
Located 3.3 miles north of Moorefield on US 220.