Heritage Weekend Tile 1976
When Sally Seymour of Mill Island married Moray Randolph of Cumberland, Maryland, it was only appropriate that the bride's parents gave a generous gift. The young couple received acreage on the west side of the South Fork River on which stood a stout log house, barns, and various other farm buildings. In order to make the place more suitable, a substantial three-story brick dwelling was built in 1856 and attached to the log house.
Architectural details and floor plans are copies from illustrated books on the subject. The brick home, laid in American or Common bond, was built in vernacular Greek Revival style with the characteristic square columned front porch. A double-service back porch provided access for servants on both levels. Clay from the forests was cut, sawed and planed by slaves and local craftsmen to complete the structure. During the Civil War, the home was used as a wintering spot for the Confederate troops. It was during the last year of the war that Major Harry Gilmores, who had taken over command of McNeil's Rangers was captured while sleeping in one of the upstates bedrooms of the house.
The house remained in the Randolph family until 1947 when Col. and Mrs. C. B> Allen purchased the home and about 90 acres. The undertook a large restoration project, modernized the house with electricity and plumbing, and retuned the farm buildings to working order. The Allens live in the home for twenty years until it was sold to Dr. and Mrs. K. F. Johnson who did the work to have it listed on the National register of Historic Places. in 2006, the current owners, Robert and Micheline Williams, completed another extensive round of restoration.
Located on Cold Springs Road, Moorefield