Ivanhoe Presbyterian Church
Photo: Dan Reichard
With the opening of a large tannery and several other enterprises in the 1890s, residents envisioned a city growing up along the banks of the Lost River. They named their community Lost City, and it indeed thrived for a time. A Presbyterian congregation was organized and the church was named for its first pastor, Ivanhoe Robertson.
The congregation grew through the heyday of Lost City, surviving the closing of the tannery in 1927, the Great Depression, the chestnut blight, the end of lumbering, terrible droughts, forest fires, depressed agriculture prices and World War II, which drew its young men from the valley. The church today continues to be an active center of worship.
The original church was a lovely building with gothic-style windows and carpenter gothic detailing outside and beautiful oak paneling inside. Over the years, the congregation has upgraded the facilities but maintained the historic sanctuary in its original form. The original pump organ still occupies a corner in the sanctuary, and sometimes it is played.
In the fellowship hall, the church displays historic photos and other memorabilia. During Heritage Weekend, a bake sale will take place on the grounds. The congregation welcomes visitors to its 11 am Sunday service and for a covered-dish supper following the service.
Open courtesy of the Ivanhoe Presbyterian Church congregation.
Directions: Route 259 to Lost City, turn onto Lower Cover Road at the Post Office, church is on the hill, to the left.