Photo: Connie Twedt
The Lutheran congregation in Baughman Settlement was first recognized by the German Reformed and Evangelical Lutheran Society in 1833, and was first known as the Cedar Hill Lutheran Church. Their church stood to the northeast of the present church. It is likely a Lutheran congregation was present in the area before 1820. The Reverend Peter Miler of the Capon North River Lutheran Parish was the pastor here for many years, including during the Civil War. At least 14 documented Confederate soldiers are buried in the cemetery. Many are thought to have served in the 14th VA Militia. In 2005, a significant monument was dedicated to those soldiers and to others from Hardy County who have served their country.
The current Mt. Moriah Evangelical Lutheran church building was constructed in the early 1900’s. A building dedication service was held in 1907, and the congregation remained active into the 1940’s. Homecoming Services are conducted each year on the 4th Sunday of June during which the foot pumped organ dutifully belts out an accompaniment to the well known hymns. The area and the church have changed very little during the last 100 years.
Open courtesy of the Baughman Settlement Cemetery Society
Directions: Take the McCauley Road Exit off Corridor H. Right coming from Moorefield…left coming from Wardensville. At the stop sign on Old Rt. 55, turn right and follow the road until you make a left on Baughman Settlement Road (just under the bridge). Road Dead End’s at the Church which is approximately 3.4 miles down a very scenic county road. Parking at the site.