The Inn at Lost River sits on property originally owned by William (Billy) Harper, an early landowner in the Lost River Valley. Harper operated a Gristmill and General Store which were the commercial and social centers of activity for the Lost River Valley.
Although the Grist Mill no longer stands, the Lost River General Store, National Register of Historic Places, is a center of activity for the Lost River Valley and continues to provide a “sense of place” for residents, guests and travelers. Instead of horseshoes and caskets, the Lost River General Store now offers local, WV and national American crafts and fine WV culinary delights.
William Harper’s Lost River General Store original “Daybook” or “Ledger”, circa 1870, with hand written entries of local families, will be on display at the Inn.
In the late 1880’s, James Garrett purchased the Harper Grist Mill and a portion of the Harper property. Garrett and his son, Ferg, constructed the wood frame lath and plaster home which later became the Inn. The Garretts operated the Mill and farmed the property for a number of years.
A major renovation and restoration of the Inn began in the mid-1990’s and concluded 20 months later.
Today the 120 year old soft pine floors, milled from local forests, still grace the center hall. With the removal of fourteen coats of multi-colored paint, the center hall banister once again shines as a woodworker’s masterpiece created from local walnut.
Out buildings include an original smokehouse used for curing meats and a reconstructed springhouse once used for cooling milk and other perishables.
Open Courtesy of Ted and Toni Mathias-Harvey
Location: On Route 259 at Mill Gap Rd, Lost River