Photo: Al Mach
One of the oldest extant structures in Moorefield, the Higgins House was built 1786-88 by Robert Higgins, a captain in the Revolutionary War.
In 1777, the Virginia General Assembly authorized creation of a town on the lands of Conrad Moore. Called Moorefield, the town’s trustees sold half acre lots to settlers on condition that purchasers build a dwelling of at least 18 square feet, with a brick or stone chimney, within two years, a requirement first relaxed to five years and then later to nine years due to “the difficulty of procuring materials.”
Robert Higgins purchased lot No. 33 from the trustees in 1786 and his deed became the 10th to be recorded by the town.
The structure was built of logs and covered, sometime later, with clapboard siding. Although it is two stories, it has only one room downstairs. Higgins sold the house to George Harness in 1792.
In 1983 the Duffey United Methodist Church bought the property with the intent to tear down the house and use the land for a parking lot. A public outcry caused the church to preserve the original structure and only demolish an addition to the left. The structure is now owned by the Town of Moorefield.
Mrs. Linda Shears has kindly added a display of her antique iron cookware pieces to the area surrounding the stone fireplace for your enjoyment.
Open courtesy of the Town of Moorefield.
Location: Corner of Elm Street and Winchester Avenue, Moorefield.