Photo: Al Mach
The fort is open daily from dawn to dusk and offers a self-guided tour.
Constructed in 1863 by Union troops under the command of Colonel James A. Mulligan. The site is known locally as Fort Hill. The Fort was evacuated on January 31, 1864 due to an impending attack by Confederate Jubal Early. The Trail around the Fort is well marked.
Directions: South on Rt. 220 from Moorefield to Petersburg. Follow Rt 28/55 southwest out of Petersburg. Turn left into the Grant Memorial Hospital and follow signs.