Heritage Weekend Tile 1997
Emmanuel Episcopal Church
Episcopalians trace their presence here to 1753 when the Hampshire Parish of the Church of England in Virginia was established by the same legislative act that created Hampshire County, which then included Hardy County.
“The Revolution saw most Anglican clergy return to England and it was seventy years before Episcopalians again became active in Hardy County,” according to a church history.” The Rev. Mr. Thralls of Cumberland, Maryland, by invitation held an Episcopal service in the Presbyterian Church in February of 1875 and in 1876 Emmanuel Parish was formed.”
The church building owes its existence to Josiah Dent of Georgetown, D.C., who donated mountain land, a portion of which was traded for land and lumber to build the church in Moorefield. Construction began in 1876 and the building was consecrated in 1881.
Emmanuel is of the late Gothic Revival period “and, like many of its contemporaries, was built of wood rather than stone.” Stucco was added to cover the original board and batten exterior in 1920.
Typical of “low churches” that characterized less emphasis on ceremony than “high churches,” Emmanuel’s stained glass windows have geometric designs rather than pictures of saints. The colored glass along sides of windows in the Nave is made from colored pot-metal glass. The center parts are enameled glass with designs painted on clear glass. The parish hall windows use opalescent glass of the La Fare and Tiffany styles.
Directions: Corner of Winchester Avenue and South Fork Road, Moorefield.