Moorefield and surrounding area
Battle of Moorefield (Start)
Trails sign located at 5196 US Route 220, Old Fields WV 26845 | ROAD MAP
Union troopers under Gen. William W. Averell surprised, attacked and routed Confederate cavalry under Gen. Bradley T. Johnson camped here Aug. 7, 1864.
Battle of Moorefield (Running for the Hills)
Trails sign located at 149 Hyde St, Moorefield WV 26836 | ROAD MAP
Johnson’s troops were pushed back to this area where more Confederates under Gen. John McCausland were camped. The two Southern units tried to form a defensive line but they were outgunned and flanked by the Union troopers. The Confederates were forced to run for the hills. During the battle the Southern cavalry lost four cannon, 400 men and hundreds of hard-to-replace horses.
Other Moorefield Trails signs
Trails sign located at 195 Howards Lick Road, Mathias WV 26812 | ROAD MAP
After John T. Mathias enlisted in the Confederate army his family faced tough times here during the war. Both Confederate and Union troops periodically swept through here taking produce and livestock.
Trails sign located at 301 E Main St, Wardensville WV 26851 | ROAD MAP
This busy crossroads town saw lots of action during the war. Union Gen. John C. Fremont’s 20,000 soldiers marched through here in late May 1862 on their way back to the Valley after their defeat at the hands of Stonewall Jackson there. Other units large and small found an easy route to Winchester and points south. Southern guerrillas found friends here but were warned that harboring the partisans might result in the destruction of the town.
Trails sign located at 8079 State Route 259, Lost River WV 26810 | ROAD MAP
The house, still standing, was the home of James W. Wood, who grew up here and was 15 years old when the war began. He joined the Confederate army in January 1864 and fought at the Wilderness, Spotsylvania and Cold Harbor. He also served with Jubal Early’s Valley army. After the war he served three terms in the West Virginia House of Delegates.
Moorefield Presbyterian Church
Sign located at 109 South Main St., Moorefield WV 26836 | ROAD MAP
The leader of this church, Rev. William Wilson, and his congregation were strong Confederate sympathizers. Wilson left town in 1862 to become a chaplain in the Confederate army. During the war, both sides used the church as a hospital. Union soldiers stabled their horses inside and burned pews as firewood.
Trails sign 121 N Main St, Moorefield WV 26836 | ROAD MAP
This circ. 1853 house served as headquarters for both sides as Moorefield changed hands several times during the war. Confederate Gen. John McCausland, was asleep here after the famous 1864 “Burning of Chambersburg” action when his troops were attacked 4 miles north of here. Union Gen. John C. Fremont used this home as his headquarters in May 1862.
Sign located at 192 Olivet Drive, Moorefield WV 26836 | ROAD MAP
Fighting erupted among the tombstones Sept. 10, 1863, when Union troops camped here were surprised by a variety of Confederate troopers. The Union position was soon overrun. The Confederates captured 160 soldiers plus wagons, horses, guns and ammunition.
Sign located at 710 Mill Island Road, Moorefield WV 23836 | ROAD MAP
This mansion was built about 1840 for Felix Seymour and his wife. During the war the home was used as a Confederate hospital (especially for sick and wounded McNeill’s Rangers). The prosperous 1,500-acre farm suffered the loss of crops and livestock to both sides during the war.
Sign located at 8790 State Road 55, Moorefield WV 23836
Union Gen. John C. Fremont and his 20,000-man army arrived and camped here May 28, 1862. Fremont had been defeated by Confederate Gen. Stonewall Jackson at the Battle of McDowell earlier in the month. While here, President Abraham Lincoln urged Fremont to return to the Valley to help defeat Jackson. Rain and road conditions slowed the Federals as they broke camp here two days later to return to the Valley.
Petersburg and surrounding area
Interpreted trail leading to the preserved remains of the fort is accessible from the Grant Memorial Hospital Parking lot south of Route 55 in Petersburg | ROAD MAP
Constructed by Union troops in 1863 on a site formerly occupied by both sides, this strong point protected Unionists in the South Branch Valley and served as a supply depot and jumping-off points for Federal activities protecting the B&O Railroad. The fort was evacuated on Jan 31, 1864 because of an impending attack by Confederate Gen. Jubal Early. Early’s men “demolished the works” and, although military activity continued in the area, the fort was never re-occupied.
Civil War Trails sign located at 203 Virginia Ave, Petersburg WV 26847.
War in Grant County: Engagement at Johnson Run
Trails sign located at 199 S Main St, Petersburg WV 26847 | ROAD MAP
Union Home Guard members clashed with a detachment of Confederate Capt. John McNeill’s Rangers near here June 19, 1864. The Home Guard, returning with supplies from the B&O Railroad, successfully defended its wagon train and withdrew.
Maple Hill Cemetery
Trails sign located 301 N Main St, Petersburg WV 26847 | ROAD MAP
Union commanders ordered the protection of this cemetery while the brick church here was used as a commissary. The local congregation had stopped meeting here after Union occupation in 1862. The building was later burned and its bricks were used for flooring in winter cabins here and at Fort Mulligan.
Greenland Gap Engagement
Trails sign located in Scherr WV | ROAD MAP
A small Union detachment occupied the gap here April 25, 1863, defending it at the approach of Confederate Gen. William Jones who was en route to Rowlesburg to burn the B&O Railroad bridge there. Jones’s overwhelming numbers eventually forced the surrender of the Union force but the delay perhaps saved the Rowlesburg bridge.