Valley Baptist Church
Formerly known as the Lost City Baptist Church. In 1894 Thomas Clover and Son sold a lot for $100 to the Lost City Baptist Church and its trustees. The building was completed in 1894 and like the houses in the area, it was surrounded by a white picket fence to keep the cows out of the church yard.
The original church building was constructed in a simple rural style with a steeple that still dominates the Lost City “skyline.” The church has been lovingly cared for and added on to through the years. The original church building was only a large sanctuary, as time went on, needs for indoor plumbing and Sunday school rooms called for additions to the structure. Most recently a fellowship hall and additional Sunday school rooms were added to the left (north) of the structure. The original portion of the church still sits upon its original, 1894, foundation.
Many celebrations and memorials alike have been attended by members over the years. Once the church held ice cream festivals. Church members set tables and chairs on the church grounds, which, in those days, included what is now the roadway. They served slices of homemade cake and ice cream from freezers set up on the church steps. One area was reserved for children to play games like “Drop the Hanky.” Today the church carries on the tradition of making apple butter each fall on the church grounds. It is enjoyed by all.
Dale Smith is currently the pastor of Valley Baptist Church and the congregation extends a warm welcome for all to join them Sunday at 10 am for Sunday School and 11 am for Worship. They also have Bible Study each Wednesday at 6:30 pm.
Open Curtesy of the Valley Baptist Church
Directions: The church is located on route 259. If coming from the Moorefield direction, travel on Corridor H to Baker. Turn right at the bottom of the exit ramp then make a left onto state road 259 towards Lost City and Mathias. Travel 9 miles. The church is located at the top of the hill in the unincorporated town of Lost City. If traveling from Mathias, turn North onto route 259 and travel approximately 4 miles to Lost City. The church will be on your right at the top of the hill.