The Episcopal Rectory
Photo by Kriston Strickler
This home was built in 1885 by A. M. Inskeep and was sold in 1885 to George W. Peterkin for the Episcopal Rectory. Peterkin served in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. After the war ended he went into seminary and worked at various churches in VA and MD. When the new Diocese of West Virginia was formed in 1877, they needed a bishop. In 1878 Peterkin was appointed as the first Episcopal bishop in the new Diocese of West Virginia. The house was used as a rectory for the church until April 30th of 1918. This home was built in the Victorian architectural style. The term "Victorian" does not refer to an architectural style but to the era during which the home was built, namely the period during Queen Victoria's reign, from 1837 to 1901. However, this home exhibits some of the very classic Victorian features such as; an asymmetrical façade, a steeply pitched and irregularly shaped roof, and a one-story porch. At one time it probably even had textured shingles. The stain glass transom above the front door was added after the home was purchased by the Episcopal Church. The current home owners have made extensive renovations to try and preserve the integrity of the house and make it a fully functional home in which to raise a family.
Open courtesy of Steve & Angie Dawson
Directions: 224 Washington Street, Moorefield