Hebron Lutheran Church
Photo: Connie Twedt
Hebron Lutheran was officially established in 1786. After the Revolutionary War, many settlers came to the Capon Valley. Most were Germans, and were Lutheran by tradition. Although there may be others, there is a stone of a Revolutionary soldier by the name of Herrin buried in the cemetery. The earliest marked grave is 1794. Germans felt very strongly about having a church in the community and established the “United German Congregation“ in 1786, a mere ten years after the signing of the Declaration of Independence. The church was log and fifteen members were confirmed at its opening worship service. The congregation insisted on a German speaking pastor until about 1820. As a result of it’s influence, three other Lutheran congregations were established in the area: St. Peter’s in Wardensville, 1840, Ebenezer at Rio in 1849, and Fairview in Virginia in 1846.
The high pulpit is quite beautiful in its simplicity, as is the balcony where slaves undoubtedly worshiped. The pews were hand hewn in 1849 from lumber cut on the land of Henry Brill. Art glass windows were presented as a memorial to the church in 1905 by Mr. Madison Alling of Newark, New Jersey, an occasional visitor to the services. Today, Hebron is known far and wide for the turkey and oyster dinners which are served to the public in both November and March.
Open courtesy of the Hebron Lutheran Congregation.
Directions: Take 259 North out of Wardensville. The church is about 6 miles on the right and is located just north of the current Hampshire County sign. The Church is the sturdy brick building which sits to the right surrounded by the bucolic cemetery.